** Applications must be received via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Monday 29 April, 2013. **
Today, information is everywhere and sometimes it’s hard to make sense of it all. Do you love making complex information understandable and meaningful? Are you passionate about applying the latest technology into new areas and in new ways? You might be a programmer, an interaction designer, a data visualiser, a hacker or even a new-age librarian. If this sounds like you and you dig libraries, we should talk.
We would like to invite you to join APDL and The Edge for three months to develop a technology idea that makes the APDL’s Design Collection more discoverable and meaningful.
- You will commence your work with the teams at APDL and The Edge on 1 June, 2013 and continue for three months until 30 August 2013
- You will be engaged as a contractor working within a $5000 budget which includes all materials, labour and expenses associated with delivery of the project. Outcomes and deliverables from the contract will be agreed within this budget.
- We will provide access to the facilities at both The Edge and areas of the State Library South Bank building, with a focus on APDL
- We will allocate you a workspace on Level 3 of SLQ and will also be provided access to a workspace at The Edge if required
- You will be required to research, design and implement a technology idea to enhance the qualitative browsing experience of APDL’s Design Collection, improving the discoverability of content within the Design Collection and encouraging an increase in overall engagement with the Design Collection and online content
- You will need to involve the APDL and Edge community in researching, designing, testing and implementing your technology idea. This could be in the form of consultations, creative workshops or online documentation of your progress.
- An emphasis will be placed on the use of ubiquitous technology and open source culture and in the demonstration and documentation of this process for other libraries and organisations to replicate
- You will be supported by staff from APDL and The Edge where required to make your technology idea a reality
The Asia Pacific Design Library (APDL) is a shared space for industry, academia and the general public to come together in the exchange of ideas and generation of new knowledge around design in the Asia Pacific. The APDL is an experimental model for 21st century libraries that focuses on experience rather than simply providing accessing to information.
The APDL Design Collection hosted in the Design Lounge, level 2 State Library of Queensland, is a bespoke collection of books, journals and magazines. It is an experiment in new ways of presenting a collection beyond the traditional ‘Dewey decimal’ arrangement.
To submit your expression of interest for this work please email email@example.com the following information to by 5pm, Monday 29 April:
- Cover letter or email confirming your acceptance of the terms of this brief
- Your full contact details including your ABN (or a completed hobby form)
- A 2 page (maximum) CV
- Links or summary of some relevant past projects
If you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.