Designer and media artist Erik Adigard said, “Design is a mix of craft, science, storytelling, propaganda, and philosophy.” With the milestone anniversary of five years now firmly under the APDL belt, we hope you enjoyed the design milieu we offered, and look forward to sharing the colourful mix for the next five-year phase for design in the Asia Pacific, with you.
Our fifth year was a cracker, and we are grateful for the continued support and engagement of our community and partners in 2015, which has allowed us to expand the programs and services that we create together with our small team of five staff, both regionally and internationally.
My highlights for 2015 were working with the many amazing educators I met in Cairns, Melbourne, Townsville, Toowoomba, and Brisbane who are incorporating design thinking into their teaching philosophies with great success.
It was also fabulous working with Woods Bagot Beijing to realise our international collaboration APDL Connect, and QUT Fashion students to bring the QUT Fashion Fleet Store to the SLQ Infozone (publicised on Channel Nine news!). Meeting with Vo Trong Nghia to discuss the upcoming Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation Fugitive Structures project for 2016, was also memorable.
But 2015 certainly ended on a high attending our exciting Asia Pacific Architecture Forum Preview Event with founding partner Architecture Media at the Australian High Commissioner’s residence during World Architecture Festival in Singapore!
What else did we do in 2015? Here’s a summary of some of the diverse and rewarding highlights, achievements and experiences:
- 12 Design in Flux Exhibition opens in the Design Lounge
- 20-21 Design Minds Little Designer: Product Design Workshops in the Design Lounge facilitated by industrial designer Stephen Mushin as part of CUSP: Designing into the Next Decade Exhibition
- 21 Natalie talks APDL Connect on 612 ABC Radio with Kelly Higgins-Devine
- 18 APDL Team Planning Day at Prospect Studios
- 10 2015 UQ Architecture Lecture Series commences with Andrew Burges. The Edge Auditorium is booked out at 300!
- 11 APDL Connect 2015 is awarded to Woods Bagot Beijing
- 13 Design Minds PD Day with Cooper Hewitt Fellow event kicks off, Edge Auditorium
- 19 APDL visits Pimpama State Secondary College
- 20 APDL visits Sheldon College for the opening of their Design, Technology & Enterprise Centre
- 2 Initial meetings with Architecture Media for Asia Pacific Architecture Forum
- 23 Queensland Academies Architecture Project presentations in Design Lounge
- 2 APDL presents at Creative Lab Symposium, QUT The Cube
- 5 2015 UQ Architecture Lecture Series wraps up, our most successful year yet!
- 8 Design Minds Future of Libraries Workshop for QUT The Cube Littlebits project at Watson Rd State School
- 16 APDL Design Minds Intro to Design Thinking for Educators Workshop & Design Emergency Play Time Textile Design Workshop, with Object ADC for the Resolved: Journeys in Australian Design Exhibition, Cairns Regional Gallery
- 19 Online Content Coordinator Ashley Tucker leaves us for the Sydney big smoke!
- 21 URO Media Mongrel Rapture Ashton Raggatt McDougall Architecture
- 22 Kelvin Grove State College Art & Design Excellence Lunchtopia Workshop, Edge Auditorium
- 27 National Affordable Housing Consortium Whole of Life: Whole of Use Exhibition opening, Design Lounge
- 1 Design Lounge tour for Sheldon College
- 11 Design Lounge tour and Design Minds Future of Libraries workshop for Pimpama State Secondary College year 7 students
- 11 Design Lounge 2.0 presentations by 3rd year Griffith University QCA and QUT Interior Design students to SLQ State Librarian & Directors
- 15 APDL Connect Workshop with Woods Bagot, Design Lounge
- 16 APDL Connect Opening with Woods Bagot, Design Lounge
- 18 Cooper Hewitt Fellows Alumni meeting with elected 2015 Fellows
- 19 Staff presentation at Ellivo Architects
- 22 Auxiliary Exhibition opens, Design Lounge
- 25 Natalie presents Keynote and Design Minds Workshops at the INTAD Teachers Queensland Conference, Toowoomba
- 8 Design Lounge tour for Hong Kong Baptist University
- 8 Silas Middleton and Dawn Boland commence their 2015 Fellowship at the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum in New York
- 10 Natalie & Christian Duell deliver Design Minds design thinking workshop for QUT Project Activate, Exchange Community Centre Kelvin Grove Urban Village
- 16 Natalie presents at QUT Design Directions Breakfast seminar for teachers
- 18 Natalie and Terry Deen present Design Minds year 7-9 workshop for StepUp Steam Room project, Edge Innovation Lab
- 22 Design Minds Intro to Design Thinking for Educators workshop for Apple Educators, Melbourne
- 23 Design Minds Intro to Design Thinking for Educators workshop for Apple Educators, Brisbane
- 24 Design Lounge tours for ALIA Teacher-librarians
- 31 Natalie attends opening of John Paul College Wesley Precinct buildings
- 3 Anita Lewis commences as the new APDL Online Content Coordinator
- 6 Design Lounge 2.0 Exhibition opens, Design Lounge
- 10-21 Built Horizons Exhibition opens, Design Lounge
- 21-27 MBFF QUT Fashion Fleet Store opens in the SLQ Infozone with record takings!
- 26 Kelvin Grove State College Art & Design Excellence Brighten Up workshop, Edge Auditorium
- 27 Design Lounge tour for Queensland Art Teachers Association (QATA)
- 1 Design Lounge tour for QUT Fashion students
- 3 Vo Trong Nghia presents his design for the Fugitive Structures pavilion
- 8-9 UQ Second year architecture student crits, Design Lounge
- 9-11 Natalie visits Townsville for Design Minds Introduction to Design Thinking for Educators workshop at Annandale Christian College for StepUp STEAM Room project
- 14 Design Lounge tour for Chinese delegation from Hubei province
- 17 Carolyn Yip commences as an APDL Volunteer
- 21-22 Little Designers Architecture Workshops at QPAC Forecourt for Brisbane Festival
- 30 Think Outside 2015 Design + Conflict Series commences
- 5 Celebrations as APDL turns five!
- 12 Silas Middleton and Dawn Boland return from their Cooper Hewitt Fellowship in New York
- 19 Design Minds Introduction to Design Thinking for Educators workshop at QUT for StepUp STEAM Room project
- 29 Natalie judges at F1 in Schools State Finals, QUT
- 2 Design Lounge tour for Thai guests
- 5 Natalie attends SLQ/Architecture Media Asia Pacific Architecture Forum Preview Event at the Australian High Commissioner’s residence in Singapore
- 11 Think Outside 2015 Design + Conflict Series wraps up to ‘Commemorate’ Remembrance Day
- 7 Natalie speaks at opening of UQ Architecture CROP’15 Exhibition, Edge Auditorium
- 14 Work commences on the new look Design Lounge 2.0
With 2016 kicking off with a bang, we invite you to be a part of the exciting program mix we have in store for you and to visit our new beautiful expanded Design Lounge. In particular, March promises to be huge, with two action packed weeks of all things architecture for the Asia Pacific Architecture Forum.
We hope to catch up with you at our events or see you in our new Design Lounge. Happy New Year!