This month two of Queensland mountains have been renamed under their traditional names.
- Mountains get new names to sever link with racist past by Felicity Caldwell. Brisbane Times, 18 May 2018
- Emotional Push to return iconic landmarks to Darumbal names by Amber Hooker. The Bulletin (Rockhampton), 22 February 2017
- Racist Past: The history of our place names by Amber Hooker. The Bulletin (Rockhampton), 22 February 2017
Unbeknown to most Queenslanders some Brisbane suburbs already have Aboriginal names attached to them.
- Wynnum [Breadfruit tree]
- Goodna [Human ordure]
- Yeerongpilly [Gravelly gully]
- Woolloongabba [Place of Whip-tail Wallaby]
- Numinbah [Palm tree]
- Enoggera [Song and dance]
- Indooroopilly [Gully of leeches]
- Pinkenba [Place of tortoises]
- Nundah [Water-holes]
- Caboolture [Place of carpet snakes]
- Bulimba [Place of magpie larks]
- Gayndah [The Range]
Aboriginal Suburb Names Map on Wikipedia provides a visual representative of suburbs with their names.
For more information view Watson, F., & Royal Geographical Society of Australasia. (1944). Vocabularies of Four Representative Tribes of South Eastern Queensland : With Grammatical Notes There of and Some Notes on Manners and Customs, Also, a List of Aboriginal Place Names and Their Derivations (available to view online)
Tania Schafer – Librarian, State Library of Queensland