This real estate map from 1888 advertises 82 allotments of land for sale at the St Leonard’s Estate in the Brisbane suburb of Coorparoo. The allotments were situated along Morley Street, Churchill Street, Gladstone Street, Ripon Street, Salisbury Street and a government road (now Castlemaine Street and St Leonards Street).
Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers.
“Omnibuses are passing it all hours of the day, and the Coorparoo Railway Station is within a couple of chains of this really well situated property, so that as the Cleveland Line opens the resident of the St. Leonard’s can say that he is within 10 minutes of the city, and yet has the privilege of enjoying all the delights of a suburban residence.” (The Telegraph, 20 December 1888, p.8)
A public auction was to be held at the site on the afternoon of 22 December 1888. The results of the auction do not appear to have been published in Brisbane newspapers.
A higher resolution image of this map can be viewed and downloaded through our One Search catalogue.
Prints of this map are also available through the Library Shop.
You can browse a compendium of our previous maps of the week on our blog.
Myles Sinnamon – Engagement Officer, State Library of Queensland