This real estate map from 1887 advertises over 300 allotments of land for sale at the Ravensburn Estate, located today in the Brisbane suburb of Camp Hill. The allotments were situated along Old Cleveland Road, Long Street, Burn Street, Raven Street, First Street, Second Street (now Durimbil Street), Third Street and Fourth Street (now Koondara Street).
Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers.
“It is just far enough from town to make it necessary to have stores, public-houses, schools, churches, and all kinds of business places of its own, thus all frontages must of necessity present a grand chance to the farseeing and clear-headed speculator or mechanic, to make 300 to 400 percent, on his outlay, and that before the expiry of the terms of payment, which are exceptionally easy; only one-seventh cash.” (The Telegraph, 3 August, 1887, p.7)
A public auction was held to be held at the site on the afternoon of 13 August 1887. The results of the auction do not appear to have been published in Brisbane newspapers.
A higher resolution image of this map can be viewed and downloaded through our One Search catalogue.
Prints of this map are also available through the Library Shop.
You can browse a compendium of our previous maps of the week on our blog.
Myles Sinnamon – Engagement Officer, State Library of Queensland