Category Archives: Miscellaneous Back

Anzac Day Today

Australian Air Force Officers at the war memorial on Anzac Day in Cairns, Queensland 2014. From 29485 Brian Cassey Anzac Day 2014 Photographs. CC-BY-NC. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This year marks one hundred years since the first Anzac Day Commemoration was held. Queensland’s Canon David John Garland, known as the ‘architect’ of Anzac Day, created the framework for Anzac Day services, which includes the Anzac Day march, wreath-laying ceremonies, church services, and the one minute’s silence. To mark the centenary of the First … Read more

Calling all nominations!

Cherbourg and the Ration Shed Museum receive the 2015 John Oxley Library Community History Award.

What comes round each year… …recognises excellence in library research… …celebrates the contribution of new knowledge… …and recognises the achievements of an individual or community group passionate about preserving Queensland history? You are correct! Applications and nominations for State Library’s 2016 Queensland Memory Awards and Fellowships is NOW OPEN. For the first time in several years … Read more

Research station recognised for posterity

Meringa Sugar Experiment Station, North Queensland, c 1935. Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 2980

Guest blogger: Susan Boulton, Queensland State Archives In August 2014, the Meringa Sugar Experiment Station was entered on the Queensland Heritage Register as a State Heritage Place. The Station played a crucial role in developing Australian sugar cane varieties and today it continues valuable agricultural research and technological innovations. Situated north of the town of … Read more