Tag Archives: Brisbane Back

Longlands Estate, [Woolloongabba], 1881 (Map of the Week)

Real estate map of Longlands Estate, [Woolloongabba], 1881. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This real estate map from 1881 advertises 232 allotments of land for sale at the Longlands Estate, now part of the Brisbane inner-city suburb of Woolloongabba. The allotments were situated along Longlands Street, Norman Street and Vulture Street (now Vulture Street East). Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers. “The Longlands … Read more

Footage of the Queen Mother at St John’s Cathedral, Brisbane, 1958

Queen Mother and Archibishop Halse outside St John's Cathedral, 20 February 1958. Still from 29226/7. Bill Rahmann Films 1948-ca 1987. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

From 18 to 21 February 1958, the Queen Mother visited Queensland in a whistle-stop tour which included a State Reception at Parliament House, a North Brisbane School Children’s Welcome at the Exhibition Grounds, a South Brisbane Children’s Welcome at the Brisbane Cricket Grounds, a Civic Welcome at Brisbane’s City Hall and visits to Ipswich and … Read more

Toohey’s City View Estate, [Greenslopes], 1914 (Map of the Week)

1914 real estate map of Toohey's City View Estate, Greenslopes. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This real estate map from 1914 advertises land for sale at the Toohey’s City View Estate, now part of the Brisbane suburb of Greenslopes. The allotments were situated along Ridge Street, Pear Street, Peach Street, Bunya Street, Garden Street, Cedar Street, Henry Street, Mary Street (now Newdegate Street), Thomas Street, Galway Street, Mount Street, Short … Read more

Broadmere Estate, Annerley, 1884 (Map of the Week)

Real estate map for Broadmere Estate, Annerley, Brisbane, 1884. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This real estate map from 1884 advertises 209 allotments of land for sale at the Broadmere Estate in the Brisbane suburb of Annerley. The allotments were situated along Clara Street, Frederick Street, Mary Street (now Broadmere Street), Francis Street (now Tamworth Street), George Street (now Sommervell Street) and three unnamed roads (now Venner Road, Swansea … Read more