Did you join the recent First 5 Forever webinar? If not, take the time to access the full recording.
In this webinar we heard from Queensland Public Library and Indigenous Knowledge Centre staff who shared their ideas and experiences for providing inclusive library programs for children and families. The webinar includes tips for including culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) families, exploring language and culture and embracing the diversity of families.
Featured presenters include:
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Liaison Officer from Townsville who shared her ideas on a First 5 Forever Indigenous story time session drawing on the five themes of Land, Sea, Sky, Flora and Fauna whilst sharing tips for running a NAIDOC First 5 Forever story time.
- The Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) Coordinator and Ideas Box Coordinator from the Torres Strait who shared how they are engaging their island communities in understanding the importance of the first five years and linking families to the IKC.
- Logan City Council staff who support over 200 different ethnicities within their community. Logan staff outlined how they engage families through programs, specifically focusing on First 5 Forever outreach.
- Brisbane City Council library branches serve a significantly culturally diverse population. The Team Leader from one of their branches shared about how they use a responsive and flexible approach to engaging families including pop up sessions, play based approaches and capitalising on other library programs such as digital literacy and English language classes to engage families with young children.
- The First 5 Forever team provided information sources to possible responses for families who ask advice about first language use and tips for inclusive First 5 Forever programs and resources.
Resources referenced in this webinar are available on the First 5 Forever Dropbox.