This free one day workshop at Goondiwindi Regional Council is for Queensland public library and Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) staff. Getting Started in Family History, will help you gain skills and an understanding of family history services, resources and concepts so that you can support your library clients in their family history research. Clients begin their family history research to discover their family stories and information about the historical, social and geographical context of how their ancestors lived. For many of our family history researchers this can be a very emotional journey.
Getting Started in Family History will outline resources available at the State Library of Queensland (State Library) and through other organisations that will enable you to provide guidance to your library users to help them conduct their family history research. These resources include a wide range of print, online and other media which includes indexes, registries and directories which include details of many and varied life events.
Content will include:
- Australian Registry birth, death, and marriage (bdm) indexes
- Finding Australian births, deaths & marriage details outside Registry dates
- Ancestry Library edition – basic hints and tips
- An introduction to Trove digitised newspapers
- Introduction to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family history
Visit the Public Libraries Connect (PLC) training calendar for more information and to download the draft program.
Eventbrite bookings are open so please register today.
If you plan on travelling to attend this event why not apply for a Travel Bursary?
The State Library is offering travel bursaries to Councils to allow individuals from regional Queensland public libraries and IKCs to participate in the regional PD events offered by the State Library (or in partnership with the State Library) being held in locations across Queensland.
To apply for a bursary, please complete the relevant application form:
- Bursary application form for Independent and Rural Libraries Queensland [PDF, 49KB]
- Bursary application form for Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander Councils [PDF, 49KB]
For more information regarding travel bursaries or PD contact firstname.lastname@example.org