Moreton Bay Regional Council (MBRC) in partnership with State Library of Queensland (State Library) is offering a one day workshop for public library and Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) staff on 31 August 2018.
Wikis and Free and Open Source Software will explore the history and purpose of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) software and its place in public libraries. See how to use FOSS in your library, and how to help staff and patrons make decisions about FOSS and what to expect when using it.
Get hands-on and build your own version of the Cardboard Kaiju monster, in cardboard and hot glue and put your ideas into action and document and share your Cardboard Kaiju monster using a wiki.
Content will include:
- Introduction to FOSS
- Learn how to use the State Library Wiki for the documentation and distribution of programming materials
- Identifying FOSS alternatives to commonly used software
- Downloading, installing and evaluating chosen software
- Design, Document and Share your own Cardboard Kaiju monster (A life-size board game called Cardboard Kaiju will be introduced as a model of how to design, document and share using a wiki)
Required: ** Please bring along a laptop or tablet device **
Eventbrite bookings are open so please register today.
If you plan on travelling to attend this event why not apply for a Travel Bursary?
The State Library is offering travel bursaries to Councils to allow individuals from regional Queensland public libraries and IKCs to participate in the regional PD events offered by the State Library (or in partnership with the State Library) being held in locations across Queensland.
To apply for a bursary, please complete the relevant application form:
- Bursary application form for Independent and Rural Libraries Queensland [PDF, 49KB]
- Bursary application form for Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander Councils [PDF, 49KB]
For more information regarding travel bursaries or PD contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this event is for Queensland public library and Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) staff.