Want to get hands on at a LEGO Education workshop, hear an inspiring talk by the creator of the globally renowned coding platform Scratch, and attend the 2018 ALIA QLD Mini Conference, all in one day?
State Library of Queensland (State Library) is offering up to 20 public library and Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) staff the opportunity to attend three one-of-a-kind Professional Development (PD) events being held at State Library on Wednesday 7 November 2018.
Successful applicants can apply for one or more of the following:
- A travel bursary to cover travel and accommodation costs associated with attending the PD events,
- one ticket to either the Beginners LEGO Education EV3 workshop or the LEGO Education WeDo2.0 workshop which are being held concurrently from 3-5pm, and
- one ticket to ACS ICT Educators’ global leaders’ series talk with Professor Mitchel Resnick from 6-7pm.
- applicants may also take advantage of an additional offer from State Library to attend the morning sessions of the ALIA QLD Mini Conference 2018, which is being held at The Edge from 30am-4.45pm.
How to apply
To apply, please read the guidelines and submit a completed application form.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by Friday 26 October 2018.
For more information, or to send completed applications by Wednesday 24 October 2018, please email email@example.com
ICT Educators’ Global Leaders’ Series
The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is the professional association for Australia’s information and communications technology (ICT) sector and runs the ICT Educators’ Global Leaders’ Series. This year three events from the series will take place at State Library in November:
- Beginners LEGO Education EV3 workshop
The Beginners LEGO Education EV3 workshop is a hands-on experience for Middle and Secondary School teachers with little or no experience using the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Robotic system.
Wednesday 7 November 2018, 3-5pm
- LEGO Education WeDo2.0 workshop
Get ‘hands-on’ with the LEGO Education WeDo2.0 robotic system and learn how easy it is to engage your primary school students in STEM. The workshop is suitable for Primary and Lower Middle School teachers with little or no experience using the WeDo2.0 Robotic system. This workshop utilises the LEGO Education WeDo2.0 software/tablet app plus the new Scratch 3.0 web browser application.
Wednesday 7 November 2018, 3-5pm
- ACS ICT Educators’ global leaders’ series – Professor Mitchel Resnick
Hear an inspiring talk by learning expert, Mitch Resnick that is central to his book ‘Lifelong Kindergarten’ that focuses on the purpose of cultivating creativity through collaboration. Mitch Resnick is the leader of MIT’s Media Lab and is the creator of Scratch, a coding platform that has attracted over 65 million users worldwide. Mitch Resnick will challenge our thoughts and provide the opportunity to reflect on current teachings as educators and look at how the education systems are not providing the environments for today’s learner to succeed.
Wednesday 7 November 2018, 6-7pm
ALIA Mini Conference 2018
The ALIA Mini Conference 2018 theme takes guidance from the beloved Dr Seuss Why fit in when you were born to stand out? Hear from library staff that challenged the status quo, pushed the comfort zone or have broken from routine thinking. The ALIA Mini Conference is an excellent PD and networking opportunity for public library and IKC staff.
Wednesday 7 November 2018, 9.30am-4.45pm