Library Lovers’ Day is an annual event organised by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). Held on February 14 this year’s theme is ‘library love stories’. The theme highlights all the love that can be found in the library and the ways your library can celebrate.
Library Lovers’ Day activities
There are lots of ways you can celebrate Library Lovers’ Day. Visit the webpage to see what activities were run previous years or try some of the ideas below.
- Create a display with a romantic or love themed quotes
- Include the Library Lovers’ Day poster, and your romantic books in your display
- Hand out small bookmarks or chocolates to visitors
- Leave bookmarks randomly in books across your library
- Showcase some of your older romantic books and engage your users to update the language and settings
- Host a romance themed trivia night on romance books and films
- Host a Dress up day
- Host a movie night, with some popcorn and Kanopy films
Library Lovers’ Day resources
There is an ALIA 200 word flash fiction story competition your readers can enter. It starts with the story prompt ‘there was love to be found in the library’.
Let everyone know about your Library Lovers’ Day activities by letting people know to use the #LibraryLoversDay. Try having a competition for the best social media post. Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to the avatars and banners available in the resources section below.
For more details and other ideas visit the ALIA website. However you plan to celebrate enjoy your Library Lover’s Day.