State Library of Queensland would like to offer an exciting opportunity to four public library or Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) staff from across Queensland to participate in a professional development event from Wednesday 2 – Saturday 5 October 2019 at the State Library of Queensland.
State Library’s Fun Palace will take place in State Library spaces on 5 October from 10am-2pm, and 4.30-5pm. This is your chance to learn-by-doing through guided involvement in the planning leading up to and during the event.
What’s on offer
In recognition of the financial pressures on some Councils, State Library is offering a limited number of travel bursaries for attendees to participate in this PD opportunity. If successful, the State Library bursary would cover travel and accommodation costs from 2-5 October 2019.
As a PD Participant you will receive:
• hands-on experience hosting a supervised, resourced, repeatable and scalable STEAM activity for the public at State Library’s 2019 Fun Palace
• hands-on training from State library staff on how to host the activity
• training in how to use the SLQ Wiki to upload and collaboratively modify Fun Palace activity outlines
• one additional opportunity to meet and learn from your State Library team of choice
• reflection and evaluation session with State Library staff after conclusion of Fun Palace (One hour)
We will expect you to:
• set up and host a public activity for the duration of Fun Palace on 5 October 2019, under the guidance of State Library staff
• participate in all scheduled PD activities during the lead up to the Fun Palace from 2-5 October 2019
• submit an activity idea for next year’s Fun Palace via the SLQ Wiki
• submit an acquittal after the event by:
1. writing a blog post describing the highlights of the program that may be shared through the Public Libraries Connect (PLC) or Indigenous Voices blog after the training.
2. providing a financial acquittal on a template supplied by State Library
3. posting your learnings on hosting the activity to the SLQ Wiki.
What is Fun Palace:
Fun Palace is an annual, free, international celebration of culture at the heart of community, using arts, science, craft, technology, digital, heritage and sports activities as a catalyst for community engagement. It is an international phenomenon with hundreds of events taking place around the world.
The Fun Palace Manifesto
We believe in the genius in everyone, in everyone an artist and everyone a scientist, and that creativity in community can change the world for the better. We believe we can do this together, locally, with radical fun – and that anyone, anywhere, can make a Fun Palace.