Libraries around the world join in the fun of Library Lovers’ Day on 14th February each year to honor libraries, librarians, book lovers, and lovers of libraries.
It’s a great opportunity for libraries around the world to celebrate the enduring relationship between our community and libraries.
On Library Lovers’ Day library and information professionals show off their libraries and encourage everyone to show their love for libraries. Organised by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), this annual event involves hundreds of libraries and thousands of library users.
The theme for Library Lovers’ Day 2020 is ‘Uncover something new’.
Here are some ways to get involved
• Host a book themed murder mystery night and get users to ‘uncover’ the criminal
• Leave out a labelled box for users to leave a written recommendation of a book they’ve fallen in love with and pick up a new one
• Host a scavenger hunt in your library with clues from popular romance or mystery novels.
• Create a display where users can guess where a romantic or love themed quote comes from, with chocolates as prizes.
• Host a romance-themed trivia night and see how well your users remember romance books and films.
• Create a display using the great Library Lovers’ Day poster and some of your romantic books.
Below are just some of the free resources you can use to celebrate Library Lovers’ Day. Resources include posters, bookmarks, social media images, stickers and more.
Wrapping paper wrap one, wrap two and wrap three.
Create a ‘blind date with a book experience’ for patrons with this printable wrapping paper. Simply wrap collection items in the paper and encourage library users to borrow them. Why not host a competition where users guess what the wrapped book is from clues?
Share your Library Lovers’ Day
• Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to the avatars and banners available in the resources section below.
• Share your ideas by email to email@example.com or by using #LibraryLoversDay on social media.
Visit the Alia Library Lovers’ Day page for more fun ideas and activities.