Feeling inspired by the World Science Festival in Brisbane from 9-13 March 2016, I wanted to learn more about science at State Library of Queensland. But what should I research? Lacking inspiration I found myself staring around the reading room wondering what was science-y in the library? And then it struck me – everything!
- The printing of books for our shelves, from making the paper and the ink to printing, only happens because of … science!
- Ever wondered how we condense months of newspapers on to a tiny microfilm? Science! And then read them – science again.
- Science is what allows us to build floors strong enough to hold the tonnes of books in our storage repositories on levels 4 and 5.
- The science of photography gives us the beautiful images in our collection and the ability to store them for the future.
- Even the everyday basics that we take for granted – photocopying, printing, using our computers, the internet – are all only possible because someone asked a question and found an answer.
State Library of Queensland’s purpose is to inspire Queensland’s creativity forever, and science makes that possible. So in the spirit of science, the World Science Festival and the library, I invite you all to become inspired and celebrate the science that surrounds us all.
Explore the fascinating science resources available through SLQ’s One Search catalogue, including thousands of journals in the applied, life, earth, medical and physical sciences from Proquest Science. You can also go straight to our wide selection of science and technology databases, by going to One Search, choosing Select databases then Science + technology from the drop-down subject menu.
Visit us: http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/visit-us
Alex Miller, Librarian