It’s Read an ebook Day so what better chance to show some #ebookLove! Get out your devices and start downloading State Library of Queensland’s ebooks for free. You can access ebooks via our One Search catalogue. Just look by title or by the name of your favourite author. ebooks will pop up with the description: “Online access”. You can then log in with your State Library user name and password. Not a member of State Library? Join online.
And if you’re still looking for an excuse to read an ebook it’s the Australian Reading Hour this Thursday (20 September). Australians are encouraged to set aside one hour to read and reap the mental health benefits this brings.
Not sure what you want to read next? We have ebooks that range from young adult novels to the latest non-fiction titles in the happiness craze that is sweeping the world. Happy Never After: Why the happiness fairytale is driving us mad (and how I flipped the script) by Jill Stark (who visited us for the Brisbane Writer’s Festival) brings you the latest in happiness research and is available to download as an ebook today.
If you are looking to boost your happiness by increasing your bank balance you can also access the financial bestseller, The Barefoot Investor through our ebook collections. No more waiting in hold queues!
Still not convinced ebooks are right for you? State Library of Queensland is Digital by Design and we think there are clear benefits to reading ebooks. Here are three reasons why you might choose ebooks over print:
- ebooks are easy to travel with and don’t overload your suitcase. You can pack light like the model in this photograph (above) and travel in style. Download an ebook from State Library before your next big adventure!
- ebooks don’t take up room on your book shelves. If you’re someone who suffers from what the Japanese call tsundoko (buying too many books and not reading them) then ebooks are for you!
- You can read an ebook any time, anywhere and on any device. You don’t need to visit State Library to borrow our ebooks. Simply log in at a time and place that suits you.
Are you curious to know what everyone else is reading? The top 10 ebooks downloaded by State Library members in 2017-2018 are:
- How to Master the IELTS : Over 400 Questions for All Parts of the International English Language Testing System
- The Barefoot Investor : The Only Money Guide You’ll Ever Need
- James Joyce’s Painful Case
- Philosophy: Key Themes
- Dawn of Victory, Thank You China! : Star Shell Reflections 1918-1919
- Basic English Grammar for Dummies
- Basic Maths for Dummies
- Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 2017 Edition
- Art of War : The Definitive Interpretation of Sun Tzu’s Classic Book of Strategy
Anne Reddacliff, Librarian
Visitor & Information Services
Read an ebook Day – https://readanebookday.com/
How to: Find ebooks at SLQ – http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/search/eresources/ebooks
One Search catalogue – http://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au