Indigenous Australian, Trooper Willie ALLEN, 11th Light Horse Regiment.
Willie ALLEN was born in Darwin, NT in 1884 and was working as a labourer when he enlisted 10 December 1917. His half sister Teeja Batcho was living at the Kahlin Aboriginal compound at Myilly Point, Darwin.
Willie Allen trained at Rifle Range Camp, Enoggera, before embarking overseas. This is where his portrait would have been taken, and subsequently published in The Queenslander Pictorial, 2 February 1918.
Allen embarked from Sydney for Egypt 10 June 1918 and arrived in camp at Moascar five weeks later. He was allotted to the 11th Light Horse Regiment and served in Palestine before returning to Australia in August 1919. Soon after his return he married Madeline Ferguson, in Queensland, 20 September 1919.
Read more …
- Service record: ALLEN, Willie
- Australian War Memorial collections
- Image: The Queenslander Pictorial, 2 February 1918
- One of the soldiers featured in SLQ’s HistoryPin Collection
- View the whole Collection: Indigenous enlistment
- Queensland’s Indigenous Servicemen Digital Story and Oral History
Marg Powell & Des Crump | QANZAC100 | State Library of Queensland