Australia’s richest and most prestigious award for furniture design is now open.
Emerging and established furniture designers will have until 15 May 2017 to get their designs in for the $20,000 Australian Furniture Design Award which is presented by Stylecraft and JamFactory Contemporary Craft and Design.
To be eligible to enter, designers must be either Australian citizens based anywhere in the world or designers of any nationality who have residency status in Australia.
The award winner will receive:
- $20,000 cash
- Acquisition of the winning prototype by the Art Gallery of South Australia
- A residency within the JamFactory Furniture Studio (including travel and up to four weeks accommodation) to develop a design through to commercial production
- Distribution of the resulting product or product range through Stylecraft’s showrooms throughout Australia and Singapore
- Professional photo shoot of the resulting product or product range
- Royalties on sales of the resulting product or product range at an above-industry rate of 7.5% of wholesale
- Accounting, legal and intellectual property advice
Judges will focus on the following criteria:
- Originality of design
- Level of innovation
- Suitability of design for intended function or purpose
- Quality and finish of prototype
- Commercial viabilityJudges for 2017 are:
From entries submitted online, six finalists will be chosen by a high profile national judging panel.
- Jon Goulder, Creative Director Furniture Design Studio – JamFactory
- Tony Russell, Brand Director – Stylecraft
- Rebecca Evans, Curator of European and Australian Decorative Arts – Art Gallery of South Australia
- Susan Standring, Practice Director – Carr Design Group
- Stephen Todd, Design Editor – Australian Financial Review Magazine
For more information visit afdaward.com.au