Monthly Archives: June 2016 Back

Hello, my name is awesome : how to create brand names that stick (book)

hello_name

Author: Alexandra Watkins Every year, 6 million companies and more than 100,000 products are launched. They all need an awesome name, but many (such as Xobni, Svbtle, and Doostang) look like the results of a drunken Scrabble game. In this entertaining and engaging book, ace naming consultant Alexandra Watkins explains how anyone—even noncreative types—can create … Read more

The financially savvy entrepreneur : navigate the money maze of running a business (book)

financially_savvy

Author: Emily Chase Smith 80 percent of small businesses do not receive outside funding; they bootstrap (and beg and borrow) to make their business dreams a reality. As these businesses grow, the hasty financial decisions and systems put in place during their infancy inevitably crumble. Banishing CPA-speak, The Financially Savvy Entrepreneur offers time-strapped entrepreneurs—indeed, all … Read more

Irrational persistence : seven secrets that turned a bankrupt startup into a $231,000,000 business (book)

irrational_persistence

Author: Dave Zilko Irrational Persistence tells the story of Garden Fresh Gourmet, and how two entrepreneurs turned a million-dollar debt to a 100-million-dollar annual revenue. Woody Allen famously said that 80 percent of success is just showing up; but any entrepreneur can tell you that it’s the other 20 percent that’s key. The founders of … Read more

NAIDOC WEEK SLQ Business Studio – Lunch Box Forum: Cultural awareness for entrepreneurs [event]

Join Mundanara, Managing Director and Co-Founder of The Australian BlackCard Pty Ltd (BlackCard) at the next State Library Business Studio Lunch Box Forum as we discuss cultural awareness for entrepreneurs. Conveniently scheduled over your lunchbreak, the Business Studio Lunch Box Forums serve as a 45 minute inspirational and informative session on a variety of business … Read more

Learn to love networking

“I hate networking.” We hear this all the time from executives, other professionals, and MBA students. They tell us that networking makes them feel uncomfortable and phony—even dirty. Although some people have a natural passion for it—namely, the extroverts who love and thrive on social interaction—many understandably see it as brown-nosing, exploitative, and inauthentic. But … Read more

Entrepreneurial finance : fundamentals of financial planning and management for small business (book)

entrepreneurial_finance

Author: M.J. Alhabeeb With a comprehensive and organized approach to fundamental financial theories, tools, and management techniques, Entrepreneurial Finance: Fundamentals of Financial Planning and Management for Small Business equips readers with the necessary fundamental knowledge and advanced skills to succeed in small firm and business settings. With a unique combination of topics from finance, small … Read more

The customer-funded business : start, finance, or grow your company with your customers’ cash (book)

customer_funded

Author: John Mullins More than two generations ago, the venture capital community – VCs, business angels, incubators and others – convinced the entrepreneurial world that writing business plans and raising venture capital constituted the twin centerpieces of entrepreneurial endeavor. They did so for good reasons: the sometimes astonishing returns they’ve delivered to their investors and … Read more