In 2017, freelance documentary photographer and filmmaker Dean Saffron accompanied the maintenance team from the Australian Maritime Systems Group on an excursion to the Wyborn Reef Light, located approximately 16 kilometres southeast of Albany Island on the far northern edge of the Great Barrier Reef. The lighthouse was constructed in 1938 and later upgraded in 1991 and 1995.
Saffron documents the maintenance team’s excursion to Wyborn Reef Light to replace and preserve the historically significant lantern, believed to be approximately one hundred years old, under challenging conditions.
A collection of thirty photographs taken by Dean Saffron during the excursion and a short three and a half minute film which includes an interview with one of the members of the Australian Maritime Systems Group maintenance team are part of State Library of Queensland’s digital collections and can be viewed online through our One Search catalogue.
Further collections by Dean Saffron
- Queensland Flood Photographs, 2011
- 2012 Queensland State Election Photographs
- 2015 Queensland State Election Photographs
- 2017 Queensland State Election photographs
- Outback Camel Mustering Photographs, 2014
- “Umbrella Lady” Photographs, 2014
- Paul’s milk factory photographs, 2017
- Otti’s Boxing 4 Fitness Club Photographs, 2013
- Moorooka Portraits, 2013