Indigenous Australian, Gunner Evelyn ELLIS, 9th Reinforcements, 7th Machine Gun Company.
Evelyn Ellis was born on North Stradbroke Island, Qld in 1884 and worked as a carpenter before volunteering to serve with the first AIF in September 1916.
After training at Seymour Barracks, Victoria, he embarked from Melbourne in December 1916 on board HMAT Orontes bound for England. The reinforcements trained at Perham Downs before sailing for France in September 1917. Ellis had been transferred to the 3rd Division Machine Gun Company.
Gunner Ellis served in France until being taken ill early in 1918. He was returned to Australia in May 1918 and medically discharged.
Read more …
- Service record: ELLIS, Evelyn
- Embarkation roll
- North Stradbroke Island’s First World War Soldiers and the Homefront
- One of the soldiers featured in SLQ’s HistoryPin Collection
- View the whole Collection: Indigenous enlistment
- Queensland’s Indigenous Servicemen Digital Story and Oral History
Marg Powell & Des Crump | QANZAC100, State Library of Queensland